How's your credit score?
March 26, 2018 | Posted by: Holly Cochrane
Do you know what your credit score is? If you don’t you aren’t alone! Many people have no idea what their score is or even how to obtain a copy of their credit report.
If you don’t know how to maintain a clean credit report and a favourable credit score below are a few simple steps!
1) First off, you need to have credit in order to increase your credit score. Your score will increase as more credit becomes available to you and as you use your credit facilities. You could start by getting a credit card and/or a personal loan.
2) Paying your bills on time is crucial to maintaining a great credit score. This includes your home utility bills, internet, cell phone, credit cards and loan accounts.
3) Make sure you carry low balances on your revolving credit accounts. For example, if your credit card limit is $2500 try and keep the balance owing to half the limit and lower. It doesn’t work in your favour to carry balances at the limit of the credit account for long periods of time.
4) It is also a good idea to start obtaining credit early, however always being responsible with it. The longer you have a credit report established, the better for you.
5) Do not become a credit seeker or shopper. Each time you apply for a loan or credit card that company pulls your credit report. Multiple inquiries on your credit report will decrease your credit score.
You are able to obtain a copy of your credit report directly through Equifax. Their website is www.equifax.ca
When our clients complete a mortgage application with one of us, they are welcome to ask any questions about the credit report. This is included in the services we provide to our clients. We are here to inform you and share our knowledge with you.